• March 3Graduation on 24 May 2018

The Effects of Animal Cruelty

Photo via Playa Community Under Creative Commons license

Julia price, Life and Times Writer

In the United States alone, an animal is mistreated every ten seconds. More than 100 million animals are killed each year from experimental testing and training, according to PETA.

Guatemala is the leader in rates of neglect and insufficient compassion for animals, as their unhealthy conditions create a negative and extremely dangerous atmosphere for both domestic and wild animals.

In China, cosmetic products are required to be tested on animals before mass production and sales. Their bad reputation for animal abuse began when famine along with the Cultural Revolution caused limited food supply and resorting to animals as a source. Since this desperation, many have been careless towards animals. In 2007, traces of melamine, a chemical used in making plastics and fertilizer, has

contaminated and killed thousands of pets who have consumed the product. Melamine has reportedly been used in production of pet food for years due to its ability to falsely spike protein readings in the food. The unsafe combination of melamine and other substances creates a poisonous mixture. If properly and attentively produced, this problem could be avoided.

In 2015, my family and I were lucky enough to adopt a dog named Bailey. This dog was abused by three men, causing a malformed lip and palate. She had recently been in the care of my older sister Amanda, who had to eventually give her away. In the short time that Bailey was in my sister’s care, Amanda spent hours trying to comfort her as she continuously hid behind the couch and refused to eat. At the time, we were the only option for her besides the shelter.  For days, Bailey wouldn’t let anyone touch her or even come close. She went hungry out of fear of punishment. It took weeks for her to become comfortable enough for us to move near her.

To this day, Bailey’s personality is continuously changing. The abuse she faced at a young age  has affected her ability to trust and enjoy others company. Thanks to the endless care and affection from my family, Bailey could live fruitfully and eventually leave her comfort zone, even if just for a sniff.

Most often, animals are not lucky enough to be placed in the care of loving family. 2.7 million (out of 7.6 million) animals placed in shelters are euthanized each year from lack of responsibility. Although acts have been put in place to prevent animal cruelty, the best way anyone can support the cause is to educate others.

Both Wildhorse Ranch Rescue and Friends for Life local shelters are happy to provide more information to anyone interested in adoption, volunteering, etc.

www.azfriends.org

www.wildhorseranchrescue.com