• March 3Graduation on 24 May 2018

Video Games At Different Perspectives

Back to Article
Back to Article

Video Games At Different Perspectives

Photo via Pixabay under creative commons licenses

Sarah Lam, News Writer

Super Smash Brother’s Club is the newest club of a unique hobby at Higley High School where students come to meet every Friday after school in Room 325. They play video games and enjoy themselves; as well as share their video game interests with one another.

In the beginning of the year, a couple of students came up with the intriguing idea to create this fantastic and motivating club called, Super Smash Brother’s Club, where anyone could come in and meet after school to compete with each other in video games. Sebastian G., the founder/creator of the club, explains the importance that this brings to this school, in which he believes, “making this club would be beneficial for everyone to practice their skills; bringing this experience to both people who play the game but have nobody to play with and for people new at the game wanting to start.” This club encourages any student interested, to come and join, as well as bring their own controller if they can;  so that one may have something of a joy to look forward to after a long and busy week of working hard and doing school work.

According co-founder, Mark M., who clarifies the experience one gets out of joining, “It’s a lot of fun, and playing with them, it gets somewhat competitive to where you can’t wait til next week to play against them and try to see if you could win.”

In Super Smash Brother’s Club, every time they play, they learn new possible strategies upon figuring out how to advance and reach achievable success, in which students are strategically utilizing game logics; strengthening their minds to think and formulate plans on improving their skills. What this video game club does, according to Taylor F. who’s a member of this club, “Is that every Friday they show up, while someone might bring a TV and someone else may bring a console; then they’ll play a game, usually Super Smash Brothers.”

This club reveals a good environment for students to just be themselves while they can hang out with one another in playing video games. “Anyone that likes playing video games or  have a competitive spirit of interest to play video games, are encouraged to join and have a great experience,” says Fabian S.S., a Super Smash Brother’s Club member. In other words, there is no limit to anyone who wants to join, of which they are welcome to come sit and play until about 3:30pm on a Friday afternoon.

Mr. Ellis, sponsor and teacher in charge says, “The students seem to have a good time and I enjoy being here and allowing the students to have a good time.”

Overall, Super Smash Brother’s is believed to be a sweet way to unwind into the weekends, after the school week’s about over; because it’s basically friends and videogames that really helps to complete the end of a tiring week. And as reported by current member, Alex B., “Everyone’s friends with each other and we’re all just having fun playing video games.”