• March 3Graduation on 24 May 2018

The End of the Wizarding World

Photo via CNN under creative commons licenses

Trenyce Brown, Life and Times Editor

Re-envisioning a new world is an ability many might take for granted. The choice to escape to a vibrant universe is a feeling many strive to achieve. However, due to the Freeform network discontinuation of Harry Potter marathons, many have lost their escape. On August 8th, The Wall Street Journal announced that NBC Universal were claiming all rights to any and all wizarding movies.

However, HBO has announced they will be welcoming all eight movies to their network. The agreement gives NBC universal on-air along with digital rights to the world of magic.  Although HBO will be airing the series, only the HBO subscribers are benefiting. Unlike the nonsubscribers who have taken a comfort to the freeform amenity, the network’s followers only have a trivial adjustment.

Many without the subscription advantage have spent a great deal of their time binging out on the series. A freshman at Higley explained how her and her sister “Would watch it for hours on end every weekend it played.” Since the discontinuation, many might bypass all Wizarding World spin-offs. Mrs. Samour, a teacher at Higley, voiced her thoughts and said, “I’m nervous for the accessibility of future generations who might not have heavy Harry Potter readers or viewers.”Without the easy accessibility, future generations could omit the wizarding culture.

Future generations may never get a chance to witness everything Harry Potter. If kids are scrolling through their T.V. and see the series on an accessible platform there’s a higher chance for them for view it. However, if it’s on a platform where a subscription is required they will turn away. Many are not as fortunate to have the choice to pay for a subscription,especially if they are only getting it for one series, no matter how good.

The Harry Potter story has important themes many should indulge in. One very consistent theme throughout the series is family. Harry has a rough childhood growing up in a house where he is unwanted, so when he gets the chance to go to Hogwarts, he makes close friends he considers family. Many children are not fortunate enough to have a home they can rely on for comfort. This could be a way for many to learn that no matter how bad life seems, someone will come along to make you push through.

Both the books and movies have gripping plots and characters. Being introduced to the world of magic could expand your imagination and take you to magical places. Therefore, the cancellation wasn’t a good decision on NBC universal’s part. To some it’s beneficial; to others it’s not. This cancellation could cause the death of an era causing many to view it as a catastrophe.