• March 3Graduation on 24 May 2018

Track is Back

Photo via Bailey Fletcher under creative commons license

Bailey Fletcher, Sports Editor

With spring near, a new sport season is here. As Higley’s winter sports come to an end it’s time for the attention to shift to the sports of the spring.

The Track and Field team is significantly younger than past years and with new coaches leading the way, this team is on track to succeed.

Having an interest in running for track occurs rarely, considering that running for fun isn’t appealing to the average person. Ella Buck, a sophomore at HHS, said, “I did [track] in middle school and first it was just to get in shape but I’ve grown to love it so much and can’t imagine life without it.” Although the runners might have all different reasons for joining, they continued due to their love for the sport.

This upcoming season has unlimited potential. Andrew Lazorcak, a senior at HHS, shared his hopes for this year, “I hope to go to state for multiple events and have a successful team.” Lindsay Simpson, an HHS junior, said, “This season, I hope to improve my times and make it to state in more than one event.”

The track team competes in meets and invites where they race against teams around Arizona. Each race is a chance to qualify for the state meet at the end of the season. Track, although mostly an individual sport, is highly competitive and a chance to go to state is the end goal for most track athletes.

Although it may be too late to join this year, the team is always wanting more members to compete in next year’s season.

Coach Fentress, whose been coaching for 11 years, says to those interested in track, “Train–off-season, pre-season, it never ends. Push yourself, hold yourself accountable.. You’ll never know how awesome you’ll be if you’re afraid to try.”

Anastasia Bell, a junior at Higley, adds to those interested, “Come out and try it, be open minded. The team is very welcoming.”

The team is full of hard workers who strive to be the best they can be.Their next meet is this Saturday, March 10th, at the Husky Invite. They have a promising future, so make sure to wish them the best of luck as they push themselves to reach their goals this upcoming season.