• March 3Graduation on 24 May 2018

Multiple School Shootings Occurring Around the Country Strike Up Conversation

Back to Article
Back to Article

Photo via Gov Docs under creative commons licenses

Kylin Gjelhaug, Opinions Writer

In the past six weeks of school, there has been 18 school shootings, including suicides and homicides. How are we going to stop this trend?

The new found consistency of school shootings in 2018 is frightening. Recently, there have been shootings in Michigan, Washington, Arizona, California, Texas, North Carolina, Florida, Louisiana, Kentucky, Alabama and Pennsylvania.

The most recent solution to these shootings is to create more laws and restrictions on the availability of purchasing guns. Which could be a fix, however,  when we have tried banning or restricting things before it often made the situation worse. For example, the restriction of alcohol during the prohibition, led to more crime and people found more ways to get alcohol even though it was illegal. Even today the government has restrictions on Nicotine, Marijuana, Prescription drugs, etc., most of the restrictions are just not allowing minors to purchase it. Which get broken a lot.

Even though we have these restrictions somehow they always solve the problem for a short while then the problem pops right back up again. I believe the solution we are coming up with now isn’t going to solve the problem long-term. I believe there are many other way to solve this problem that we could consider.

A solution I believe would be more efficient to consider is, we take more time to counsel kids when they have problems. What schools have tended to do, so they don’t interfere with parent requests, is to call parents when they see a problem or lack of focus in school. Which could cause many more problems at home and much more anxiety for the children.

The children clearly believe they have reasons to either harm themselves or others. So, If we could give them a choice to notify the parents or help guide them with counseling help, it could help the problem greatly.

I don’t believe anything will solve this problem as urgently as it needs  but we could speed up the process greatly by taking another approach rather then trying to eliminate the actual weapon that the children use, instead of eliminating the weapon, let’s eliminate the problem at the source, the children’s minds.