• March 3Graduation on 24 May 2018

Concern of Busy Bees In School’s Trees

+Photo+via+Africanized+Honey+Bee+under+Creative+Commons+License+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Concern of Busy Bees In School’s Trees

Photo via Africanized Honey Bee under Creative Commons License

Sarah Lam, News Writer

Black and yellow caution tape and black and yellow bees? Higley High school buzzed with busy bees amongst the campus. The bees became a stunning phenomenon as they pollinate problems on the Higley campus.

In the month of March, there was a beehive, home to a family of bees, which was found within a small area of trees in front of the seven-hundred building area. The bees multiplied into the baseball field. Students witnessed bees all over the campus, during their lunch outside and as they walked towards their classes.

Higley’s security guard, Sam, says to have noticed the bees, “Upon the cafeteria where the benches were, and some students were pounding on the pole structures which had additionally woke up the bees.” As part of an important job of Higley’s security guards, they ensure safety for the students of Higley and take care of hazardous dangers. In addition to the waking of the bees, Security Guard Sam claimed that “A gigantic swarm had come down from their hiding place and had surrounded the trees near the one-hundred building, in which we had to call a patrol to come assist with the situation.” before it got worse.

Hayden Lawler, a sophomore student here at Higley High school, had experienced a bee situation which put her in danger during class. She explains, that it had happened “during biology class, where a bee was located right above me on a light fixture and was apparently there the whole day while the we were learning.” Hayden is a student allergic to bees and was in that tight spot which was a terrifying experience, since she was in the classroom with a bee. Many students are allergic to bees, they try not to take the risk of encountering them when a problem such as a bee invasion occurs.

According to Waikato Primary School, if it gets really bad, they have students not come to school in case any students get stung for safety reasons. Adriana Montoya, a Higley senior student agrees “A day off from school would be safe, in terms of people who have really bad allergies for bees, until it is for certain they can recover from this problem of a bee swarm.”

Although, the bee control had to end the bees, students are able to walk around campus safely for the moment. Unfortunately, for the bee control, according to Security Guard Sam, “They forgot to get the queen and so swarms still popped up in some places around the school in which the exterminators had to kill those bees, until they seemed gone.” In other words, the exterminators weren’t completely searching each area properly, as they were just spraying down each spot that swarmed with bees. Most students feel like taking off time from school, if necessary, it would be preferable over trying to eliminate all the bees that show up.

Sophomore student, Zack Leffue, believes a better way for removing the bees would be “Take the bees to a company where bees help produce honey because sometimes the company takes care of hives in an environmentally friendly way.” In other words, the bees would be put to use instead of being put to death.

Luckily, the students of Higley survived and did not get stung and they are able to walk around the campus safely. Even though, the bees were killed; maybe somewhere there are bees being put to good use by producing honey and growing flowers.