• March 3Graduation on 24 May 2018

Zodiac Signs Aren’t What They Say They Are

Photo+via+Pixabay+under+creative+commons+licenses+
Photo via Pixabay under creative commons licenses

Fabian Sanchez Suarez, Opinions Editor

Zodiac signs are often general statements that actually relate to almost everyone.

Horoscopes were charts and diagrams created by the Babylonians as a way to represent the positions of the Sun, Moon, and planets. However, now it often refers to position of the Sun at the time of someone’s birth or on the calendar significance of an event, as in Chinese astrology. The Zodiac is refers to the signs that the are used with horoscopes, this is because early astrologers knew it took twelve lunar cycles, months,  for the sun to return to its original position.

The astrologists identified twelve constellations that they saw  correlated with the change of seasons, and named them; Aries, Taurus, Gemini, Cancer, Leo, Virgo, Libra, Scorpio, Sagittarius Capricorn, Aquarius, and Pisces.

In more recent times, people have used their zodiacs as a way to represent themselves or as a guideline for the day or year. But in reality they are just following general descriptions that people have created and that they believe. I, myself, used to be one of these people when I was in middle school but I began to realize that most of the “readings” or statements that I read would happen during the day, never really did. I also began to see that most of the statements were really vague and could apply to anyone. In fact, there is no scientific evidence that shows any correlation of someone’s birth and the personality traits that they have.

Most people feel that the zodiac’s characteristics relate to them but this is only because of the Forger or Barnum effect. This effect is a psychological phenomenon where someone often agrees with descriptions of their personalities that supposedly are specified for them but are actually vague and general statements that can apply to a wide range of people. This is why people often fully agree with personality tests or horoscopes descriptions but this can also be used as a way to trick people. This is seen with fortune tellers and aura readers, who often trick their customers to believe that they know how to read people. This was shown in an episode of Adams ruin Everything, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpbTCNOYDWU, where he talks about how Psychics fool their victims.

This is also true with the chinese horoscopes and fortune cookies. The chinese horoscope do a cycle for years rather than months. Fortune cookies on the other hand, which originated in Japan, seemed to have had most of their fortunes come from a Japanese Temple tradition with random fortunes, called Omikuji. A possible reason for why fortune cookies are seen as Chinese is that during World War 2 most of the Japanese-Americans were put in internment camps , this allowed Chinese manufacturers the opportunity to produce and distribute fortune cookies. After there was a machine created to mass produce fortune cookies their prices dropped allowing them to be used as a courtesy dessert after a meal in Chinese restaurants today.

In the end, it’s often fun to read things that we feel relate to us because it makes us feel like we connect with something. And it’s fine if you want to believe these types of things but be careful  because people might use it as a way to take advantage of you. As well as believing in a piece of paper being able tell us about our future after we have eaten lunch.