• March 3Graduation on 24 May 2018

April Fools Day

Allison Navarro, Life and Times Writer

April Fools Day, also known as All Fools Day, is a day of fun and laughter. It is dated back to the 1500s. Today, it is common to pull a prank on a loved one. Though where the pranking came from still remains a mystery.

When Julian replaced the Gregorian calendar in France, residents who forgot to change the calendar and celebrated the old New Year were nicknamed “April Fools.” Ancient cultures such as the Romans and Hindus celebrated New Year’s Day around or on April 1st. April 1st was a day of celebration for many cultures.

The Romans even celebrated the holiday purposely around festivals. Hilaria, ancient religious Roman festivals, celebrated in honor of Cybele. Cybele is “the mother of the gods.” The purpose of Hilaria was to rejoice her, and for other religious purposes.

Many theories from different countries surround the origins of April Fools Day. One superstition says that any pranks pulled afternoon of the holiday will not count and will be considered bad luck. Another superstition claims that men who are fooled by an attractive woman are destined by fate to end up together, or at least keep a strong friendship.

Alyssa Worwa explains that she usually spends the holiday playing jokes on her family. Every year she comes up with a different elaborate scheme. But occasionally, they will turn the tables on her and play a prank on her. One year she recalled how her parents said they were going to move and she “literally started to cry.” In the end, she ended up being fooled along with her siblings.

On the other hand, Chloe Rameriz, said she “usually doesn’t celebrate April Fools.” Although she enjoys the holiday, the annual day isn’t celebrated in her household. Every year instead of pulling pranks she looks at funny ones other people do on the internet. Her personal favorite prank was where a girl told her boyfriend she was pregnant. The reaction was very extreme and it quickly went all over the Internet.

Even though April Fools has changed over the years, the unique holiday is still widely celebrated. It is unlike any other holiday; it can be a day for anyone no matter what background, religion, or race.