• March 3Graduation on 24 May 2018

“Love, Simon”

Back to Article
Back to Article

“Love, Simon”

Photo Via 20th Century Fox Under Creative Commons Licenses

Trenyce Brown, Life and Times Editor

Not being able to breathe in your own skin is a challenge many struggle with. Being afraid to voice who you truly are is an obstacle that terrifies many. Simon, the main character from Love, Simon, went through a journey similar to this. Love, Simon is about a young teen that is closeted. No one knows he’s gay.

He begins talking to an anonymous peer online, Blue, who is struggling with the same challenge. Throughout the movie, friendship, family, and love are tested and an insight into the worlds of others is highlighted.

To many, this movie has opened their eyes to the lives of those around them. Ms. Ament, a teacher at Higley stated, “As a teacher Love, Simon has made me realize what my students may be going through and has helped me pay closer attention.”

The common belief about movies geared towards younger audiences is that more “mature” audiences can’t relate. However, this movie is not age specific and everyone can learn a valuable lesson. In love, simon, there are students that tease members of the LGBT+ community. Harsh words spewed about someone can hold them back from embracing themselves. It makes them self-conscious because they don’t want anyone to think of them in a different light.

One scene that particularly stood out to me was the confrontation scene with Simon and his mother. After he comes out, his mother tells him he gets to be more him than he’s been in a very long time. This scene is memorable because of the raw emotion shown. She’s telling him it’s okay to embrace who you are now and feel proud in your own skin.

It’s hard enough being a part of society in today’s day and age, where we have a blueprint of the way we’re supposed to look and act. Self-acceptance has been a huge obstacle throughout generations. Halle Burnette, a freshman at Higley High School stated, “I believe self acceptance is harder in this day and age because their are huge media influencers that look the ‘correct way.’”

The obstacle of having to find yourself and then be happy with yourself is one of Simon’s largest struggles. Thankfully, there is such a large community of supporters for those of the LGBT+ community. The community has grown tremendously, with wonderful people fighting for their right to love.

Love, Simon helps show the difficulties of finding oneself from a younger perspective. It’s important to be aware of how the awareness is progressing and what the LGBT+ community is fighting for. The right to love, no matter the person, is a silent right given at birth. No matter what comes in anyone’s way, love is all you need.