• March 3Graduation on 24 May 2018

Drama in the Big Apple

Julia Price, Life and Times writer

Over the past few years, Higley High has expanded its horizons in order to provide further education in electives across our campus and the country. During spring break, students in the drama department had an opportunity to travel to New York City, spending five days immersed in the world of professional theatre. From meeting actors to watching performances and enjoying each other’s company, all of the students involved greatly cherished their experience.

The trip was presented and immediately attracted numerous students across all levels. The fact that it was a trip to the Big Apple especially sparked interest in freshman Zane Kurpinsky, who later regretted his decision to not go after seeing and hearing about everything. Kasey Smith in Theatre II described her time as “Lots of fun… especially meeting new people and making new friendships.” She met several new upperclassmen who were “easy to bond with” and made the trip even more of a success.

Although many students used this chance to travel just for fun, some are interested in a theatre-related career beyond high school. The trip offered “workshops before the plays where [they] learned choreography and sing and dance,” along with knowledge of technical theatre and tours. This five-day journey was packed full with countless open windows towards a bright future.

The 19 students were able to see the shows Anastasia, Hello Dolly, and Wicked. Chaparrones made it possible for everyone to meet the stars of Wicked, along with taking photos and signing autographs. On downtime, the group was able to visit the 9/11 Memorial, and even the Twin Towers on their last day. “I was definitely sad to leave,” Smith explained. “I already miss my new close friends and not having to worry about school work.”

Thanks to Higley’s hopes and willingness to set students up for a successful career, departments all across the campus have been able to create more and better opportunities to learn.