• March 3Graduation on 24 May 2018

How Astrology Affects your Personality

Photo Via VibeLava Under Creative Commons License

Lily Barstow, Online Editor

Everybody knows their Zodiac sign. Of course, their one sign isn’t going to be an exact description of everyone born under that sign. Someone’s personality is determined by so much more (life experiences, how they grew up, etc.). “Astrology is way more than just one sign, there’s lots of different zodiac signs given to you when you were born, your moon sign, sun sign, etc.,” says Higley student Layla Chaib. What most don’t know is that there’s way more than just your Sun sign that influences an individual’s personality.

Sign   What it Represents When it Changes
Star sign/Sun sign General personality Every month
Deacon within the sign Personality basis 3 in each star sign
Moon sign Emotions Every 2-3 days
Rising sign The way others see them Every hour
Mercury sign Communication Every 3-4 weeks
Venus sign Love and attraction Every 4-5 weeks
Mars sign Natural instinct Every 6-7
Jupiter sign Intellect Every 12-13 months
Saturn sign Self discipline Every 2-3 years
Uranus/Neptune/Pluto Rebellion, life goals, and transformation Every 4-15 years

*A person can determine any of these signs for themselves with free online calculators*

A person’s Sun sign(Aka Star sign) is determined by the position of the Sun when that person is born. For example, if someone was born under the sun sign Libra, that means that the constellation Libra was being backed by the sun in the sky at the time of that person’s birth. (It doesn’t matter if it’s nighttime or not). “I think astrology does affect our day to day lives,” comments Higley High School student, Samantha Rauso, 10. The sign you can be born under changes every month because the solar system is in constant orbit. So, when the sky changes so does the constellation and therefore the sign. Because a full rotation around the sun for the Earth is a year, all twelve of the signs are given a month’s span of time in the sky(when they are backed by the sun). An individual’s sun sign is the general characteristics of that person’s personality. This is the sign that most influences an individual’s personality. Provided below is a list of each of the zodiac signs in order, the dates for it and a brief description for each.

Sign Element When it’s backed by the Sun Personality Traits
Aries Fire March 21- April 19 Impatient, daring, and spontaneous
Taurus Earth April 20- May 20 Stubborn, generous, and independant
Gemini Air May 21- June 20 Indecisive, witty, and outgoing
Cancer Water June 21- July 22 Emotional, consistent, and caring
Leo Fire July 23- August 22 Impulsive, sociable, and adventurous
Virgo Earth August 23- September 22 Analytical, organized, and reliable
Libra Air September 23- October 22 Self indulgent, intuitive, and charming
Scorpio Water October 23- November 21 Distrusting, focused, and sensual
Sagittarius Fire November 22- December 21 Careless, intellectual, and optimistic
Capricorn Earth December 22- January 19 Impassive, ambitious, and determined
Aquarius Air January 20- February 18 Detached, imaginative, and curious
Pisces Water February 19- March 20 Changeable, easy-going, and atypical

Each Star sign is split into three equal parts called Deacons. There’s the first, second, and third. The first Deacon takes place in the first 7-10 days of the sun sign (depending on the sign). The second Deacon takes place in the next 7-10 days of that sign and the third takes the last set of 7-10 days. Each of the three Deacons have fixed traits that are specific to that Deacon. First Deaconers can be emotionally cold, they are classified as the truest example of their Star signs, but you don’t usually notice their coldness right away because they are also known to be quite charming. Second, Deaconers are recognized as the free spirited and odd people. Third, Deaconers more usually have introverted tendencies, though once you get them to open up they are awesome conversationalists.

The Moon signs changes it’s Zodiac sign every 2-3 days because a full moon rotation around the Earth only lasts a month. The moon’s position changes much more frequently than the sun’s position in our sky. The twelve signs each appear once every month for 2-3 days for the moon’s rotation depending on the zodiac sign. An individual’s moon sign represents that person’s emotions. It determines how that person emotionally reacts to things. For example, an Aries moon sign person would be more likely to react angrily at bad news than a Taurus moon sign person would.

A person’s Rising sign (also called the Ascendant sign) is what personal mask or front you use around strangers. It’s a vibe an individual immediately gives off that someone you just met would experience. An example would be that a person could have their Rising sign as Capricorn where that person could come off as introverted but when they are actually talked to they are extremely talkative and it could turn out that their star sign is Gemini and it was just their rising sign Capricorn that masked their Star sign Gemini. What exact time a person is born on their birthday determines their Rising sign. During the day, each Zodiac sign gets a featured hour, every twelve hours, that represents which rising sign a person would get if they were born in that hour.

An individual’s Mercury sign is determined by the rotation of the actual planet Mercury around the sun. The further away the planet is from the sun, the longer the rotation; the further away from the sun, the less the sign affects an individual’s personality(which is a given because a person’s sun sign, as stated above, is the sign that affects the personality most). The Mercury sign rotation changes it’s zodiac sign 3-4 weeks, depending on the sign. A person’s Mercury sign determines the way they communicate their thoughts and feelings. To show a sign contrast, a person with a Mercury sign in Virgo would be less likely to communicate their thoughts out loud than someone with their Mercury sign in Sagittarius.

Venus is the love planet, therefore making the Venus sign determine love and attraction within a person. If two individuals have compatible Venus signs then they are more likely to have a love connection. For example: A Scorpio Venus sign person and a Pisces Venus sign person would be a lot more compatible romantically than a Cancer and Leo Venus Zodiac sign match. The Venus sign rotation changes it’s zodiac sign every 4-5 weeks depending on the sign.

Mars and Venus work together in determining the way a person accepts and gives romance.Venus handles the attraction and love and Mars is involved with the natural instinct. Though Mars does have that romantic affiliation and affects how a person could approach the situation of romance, Mars is also affiliated with just the natural instinct of a person. To give an example of the Venus and Mars signs working together to set up your romantic traits is that a person with an Aquarius Venus sign that also has a Libra Mars sign would be more likely to be attracted to an air sign. The Mars sign rotation changes it’s zodiac sign every 6-7 weeks.

The Jupiter sign rotation changes it’s zodiac sign every 12-13 months. This means that people that are around the same age should share the same Jupiter sign. A planet’s sign rotations get bigger depending on how long their rotation around the sun lasts. An individual’s Jupiter sign determines a person’s intellect, or how they learn and how hard they work. To show contrast, a person whose Jupiter sign is in Capricorn would be a lot more likely to work well individually than a Leo would.

The Saturn sign represents self-discipline. Basically, how one’s morals work. The Saturn sign rotation changes zodiac signs every 2-3 years. This also means that individuals that are close in age should have the same Saturn sign. In contrast, a Virgo sign in Saturn would most likely have stricter self-discipline than a Saturn sign Sagittarius.

The last three planets in the solar system are grouped together for a description because their rotations around the sun are quite large. Individuals of close age would all have the same Uranus/Neptune/Pluto signs. The Uranus/Neptune/Pluto signs change zodiac signs every 4-15 years depending on the sign. They represent a person’s rebellion, life goals, and the transitions a person goes through in life. An example of this can be found with the zodiac signs as an Aries in the Uranus/Neptune/Pluto signs would be more prone to rebellion than a Cancer in the Uranus/Neptune/Pluto signs.

The signs are all based off the movement of the actual sky. Although Zodiac signs are the most well-known, there are different signs for eight planets in the solar system. There’s a lot more to a person’s personality based off zodiac signs than most initially thought.